Think & Tinker, Ltd.
P.O. Box 1606, Palmer Lake, CO 80133
Tel: (719) 488-9640, Fax: (866) 453-8473
Sales: Sales@ThinkTink.com, Support: Support@ThinkTink.com
Peroxy-Sulfuric Etching Module
Getting Things Ready/Leaching
Leaching with a mild acid solution will remove any residual organic contamination from the tank and associated components. Any such contaminants can interfere with etching, leading to shorts and inconsistencies in the etching process.
To leach the tank and its support components:
- Put on your acid proof smock and gloves and a facemask (or a pair of safety glasses with full side shields).
- Make sure that the drain valve is closed and that the cap is screwed on.
- Fill the tank with a 10% solution of sulfuric acid (H2SO4) until the liquid is about 1.5 in. from the top of the tank cover plate.
- Plug the power cord into a suitably fused wall outlet and turn on the main power. Adjust the temperature controller to 120°F.
NOTE: You may have to loosen the setscrew that holds the temperature-setting dial in place. DO NOT REMOVE THE SET SCREW! You only have to loosen it about 1 turn to allow the temperature dial to turn freely.
- While the system is coming up to temperature, it is a good time to adjust the flow of air through the sparger.Before we start, totally close the needle valve mentioned above and open the master air valve. Adjust the pressure regulator to 5 psi. Flip the air switch on the control panel to the ON position. The internal lamp will illuminate to indicate that the air solenoid valve is OPEN. Gradually open the needle valve until uniform agitation is evident along the entire slot in tank cover plate. If the solution level in the tank is just touching the stainless steel ribs hanging from the bottom of the plate, adequate agitation occurs when the entire slot is roiling but no liquid is splashing out.
- Using the air switch on the control panel, cycle the air solenoid a couple of times to flush the leachant in and out of the sparger plumbing. Carefully examine all connections and seals for leaks . If any are found, contact Think " Tinker immediately.
- Let the solution sit at temperature overnight to leach the tank and all of its components. This will remove any residual contamination that remains after the leak testing and QC process performed at Think " Tinker.
- After leaching is complete, turn the main power and air switches OFF. Do not change the adjustment of the needle valve.
Sales: 1-(719) 488-9640 Tech Support: 1-(719) 488-9640 Fax: 1-(866) 453-8473
Copyright © 1994 - 2014 Think & Tinker, Ltd.
Updated 2/13/2014 8:36:56 AM